Monday 2 April 2012

Allan Trotter - Minor Deliah - Amanda Robinson @The Flask

My favourite reason for going to The Flask is that you never know what kind of musicians going to see. It's like a bag of Revels, you're taking a chance because although there's loads that you do like, but there's always that odd one that makes you pull that disgusted face. I've been lucky enough now to have two weeks in a row where I've managed to skip that Coffee flavoured chocolate out of the bag. As ordered, I got my guitar ready last night and headed down to The Flask for the chance to support Minor Delilah.

I got a message from a good friend of mine and fellow musician yesterday Allan Trotter, he informed me that he was going to come down to The Flask and watch me play, we got talking and I put him in touch with Amanda because he wanted to perform himself. Luckily Amanda isn't hard faced and allowed him that chance, and I think everyone in the building was glad of the fact.

After I had performed my little set and promoted MESi Radio (there's no promotion like shameless self promotion) Allan took to the stage. I'm getting into this really bad habit of missing performers first songs if they're on stage directly after me, but at least it's only one song right? I've saw Allan play a few times, but always on Acoustic and always as part of the band "The Triggers" so it was a nice change to see him pull out the old electric and go solo. It's very rare these days that you can walk into a venue and hear the blues being played, never mind being played with such accuracy and skill. The only other person that springs to mind, when thinking about that standard of playing the blues is Tragic O'Hara. Allan belts out the blues like he invented them and sitting watching him, you can (just for that moment in time) imagine that he did. He makes it look so easy, and if I was asked about it, I would have no issues declaring that Allan is one of the most talented guitarists that I know. What made Allan's set just that little bit more exciting was when Minor Delilah joined him on stage for a "Jam" it was unexpected and you could be tricked into believing that this impromptu session was planned and rehearsed. It was one of the best moments that Sunday Band Nights at The Flask ever had.

Next up was the headline acts, Minor Delilah. Now here's a band that I've been trying to pin down for a couple of months. There was no question where I was going last night, even if I wasn't performing. The group unfortunately were a man down last night, however it caused no disruption to their sound. The group are so dynamic and have that stage persona that not many people can pull off. I remember saying to Emily that they remind me of a "Glaswegian A Band Called Cadence" they have the cheekiness and humour that even if the music they were playing wasn't that good, you would be distracted by their banter and wouldn't even notice. It's just great that they have the musical talent aswell. The band are a tight band with a sound thats hard to place down, It's been going through my mind that the group are a mash up of Panic! at the Disco and The Fray. Then there was that moment when the singer picked up an acoustic and asked for requests, he started playing "Basket Case" by Greenday and forgot the lyrics (like he said he would) and then our wee Amanda got up to take over the reigns. I know Amanda doesn't want a review, but you know what I'm going to give her one anyway. I always had this stereotypical image that the Irish were the best singers, and it's not been proved wrong yet. Yes ok Amanda's not a singer, but she done a great job with the song, it's hard to tell if she was nervous or if she was just enjoying the buzz. It was just one of those nights at The Flask where if you weren't there you lost out. It's a shame that Amanda's leaving, because the band nights have been brilliant, and if they continue then they won't be the same. Last night was a fitting end to her run, and the next band night is on the 15th of April, Amanda's leaving do AND the MESi Radio launch party. You'll never know what you missed at The Flask, and it's a shame because it was THE place to be on  a Sunday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment