Friday 23 March 2012

Pure Dead Brilliant

Pure Dead Brilliant are a band from Fife, and when you hear the name you're torn between thinking that they are either a) some random neds who've picked up a guitar or that they're endorsed by Prestwick airport. Well let me tell you that neither of those are true.
I was sent a link to their soundcloud to have a listen to their album. Being the rebel that I am, I never listen to things in order and so the first track I decided to listen to was "Best of Life" and I'm not going to lie, when the guitar started I instantly thought to myself "Brilliant another Blink 182 wannabe band" normally I would just have switched off but as I said I'd review it I thought I'd give it a chance. I'm glad I did, because after the first few bars of what I thought was going to be a rip off of Blink, the song progressed into a much more mature sound, the dynamics of the vocals draw you in the moment you hear them. The guitar part is simple yet effective, and the song in it's entirety is very entertaining and enjoyable. It's a band you could imagine being on stage at the Slam-dunk festival and getting everyone in the crowd moving along.
The next song was Festival High, again I heard the intro and thought of another band, this time it wasn't so much the actual melody but rather the tone. The tone of the intro reminded me so much of "I'm not okay" by My Chemical Romance, I was half expecting the drums to come in and do a build up, however what I was graced with instead was some harmonics, which seem out of place but fit perfectly, an odd combination. Again for me it's the vocals in the song that pull me in. Music wise, the band seems fairly simple. They have predictable chord progressions however this doesn't pull away from the fact that this band sound great and pull together. I've had a look at some of their videos on YouTube and live they seem to be just as good as they are recorded.
I'm a sucker for acoustic tracks, so when I saw that there was a live acoustic track I had to listen. I'm an acoustic artist so it's the music I love, and when I hear a full band being stripped down to just acoustic it amazes me. No difference here, in all honesty you couldn't tell it's the same band. "Cried myself to sleep" is an acoustic track that reminds me so much of the Stereophonics in terms of vocals, yet I prefer it to anything Stereophonics have done. I'm going to keep listening to this band, I'm going to make sure I see them live and I suggest that you do the same. I'm glad I kept listening after those first few bars, otherwise I would have missed out on something spectacular.

You can find the band at http://soundcloud.com/puredeadbrilliantuk

No comments:

Post a Comment